- Copyrights: This website's design, text, graphics, and selection and arrangement of elements are the copyrighted materials of Orion Legal Research, or of the entities from which Orion Legal Research licenses materials from. Any reproduction, distribution, republication, posting or transmission in any form or by any means of these materials without the prior written approval of Orion Legal Research and the licensee is prohibited.
- "As is" and disclaimer: The information, materials and services contained on this site, including but not limited to the graphics, links and other items, are being provided to you on a “as is” basis with no warranty. Orion Legal Research does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of this information and materials, and expressly disclaims liability for any errors and/or omissions in this information and materials. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Orion Legal Research disclaims all representations and warranties of any kind, whether expressed, implied or statutory, including without limitation the implied warranties of title, non-infringement, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
- Use does not form a lawyer-client relationship: In no event will a lawyer-client relationship be formed by the use of this website unless, and not until, your communications with Orion Legal Research through this website lead to the preparation and execution of a contract for legal research or writing services, or other retainer agreement with Orion Legal Research. Each time you use this website or transmit information to Orion Legal Research, you agree that your use or transmission will not constitute a conflict of interest with any of Orion Legal Research's clients, or with any clients of those clients, at the time of your access. We strongly encourage you not to send confidential or other potentially sensitive information to Orion Legal Research without first contacting us to perform a conflict check.
- Website is not legal advice: Information on this website and in Orion Legal Research's other publicly available materials, including but not limited to blog posts, newsletters, emails and other informative services, is presented for informative purposes only and is not legal advice. By using this website or Orion Legal Research's other publicly available materials, you agree that you are not receiving legal advice. If you are looking for assistance with a legal problem, we strongly recommend that you retain and consult with a lawyer to discuss your unique circumstances.
- Limitation of liability: In no event will Orion Legal Research be liable for any damages, including without limitation direct or indirect, special, incidental, compensatory, exemplary or consequential damages, losses or expenses, including without limitation lost or misdirected orders, lost profits, lost registrations, lost goodwill, or lost or stolen programs or other data, however caused and under any theory of liability arising out of or in connection with (1) use of this site, or the inability to use this site by any party; or (2) any failure or performance, error, omission, interruption, defect, delay in operation or transmission; or (3) line or system failure or the introduction of a computer virus, or other technical sabotage, even if Orion Legal Research, its employees or representatives thereof, are advised of the possibility or likelihood of such damages, losses or expenses.
- Corrections and updates: Orion Legal Research reserves the right to correct any inaccuracies or typographical errors in the information posted on its website, and shall have no liability for such errors. Information may be changed or updated without notice and prices and availability of goods and services are subject to change without notice.
- Severability: In the event that any provision(s) contained within these Terms and Conditions is/are held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, such invalidity or unenforceable shall not affect the remainder of these Terms and Conditions, and these Terms and Conditions shall be construed and enforced as if the invalid or unenforceable term(s) or provision(s) had not been included in these Terms and Conditions.
- Non-waiver: Orion Legal Research’s failure to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any term(s) or provision(s) contained herein shall not be construed as a waiver of any term, provision, right or obligation.
- Who we are: Orion Legal Research (“Orion Legal Research”, “we”, “us”, etc.), operates the website www.orionlegalresearch.ca (the “Website”) in order to inform the Albertan and Canadian legal professions and communities of our legal research and writing services (our “Services”). As part of operating the Website and providing our Services, we need to collect, use and disclose the personal information of others.
- Why we collect information, and how we use it: We need to collect, use and disclose your personal information in order to, among other things:
a. Establish and maintain business relationships with you;
b. To send you newsletters and information that you have signed up to receive;
c. To trouble-shoot the Website;
d. To detect unauthorized or illegal use of the Website; and
e. As part of the ordinary function of the Website.
We will not send you commercial electronic messages or “spam” you without your consent. To prevent this, we have automated our email marketing and newsletters with MailChimp, which uses a "double opt-in" process. If you have received a message from Orion Legal Research and believe that you have not provided your consent, please contact Christopher Felling at [email protected]
Consent and authorization to use your information: When we collect information from you and use your information, depending on the circumstances we are allowed to collect and use the information based on your express consent, our reasonable beliefs that you have consented, or the obligations we have under the Legal Profession Act, and the Law Society of Alberta’s rules and Code of Conduct to collect information from you. You may decline to consent to our collection of information from you. However, we may not be able to provide you our Services, including access to the Website, without first collecting information from you. For example, you cannot use the Website without your computer providing some information (such as your IP address, type of browser, and domain name) to the Website. Similarly, we must comply with client ID rules in order to provide legal services. By using the Website and our Services, you represent to us that you consent to our collection of your personal information as reasonable and necessary in the circumstances.
Disclosure: Ordinarily we will only use or disclose your information for the purposes for which it was collected. In some circumstances, however, Orion Legal Research will need to disclose your personal information to others, for example:
a. If disclosure is necessary in an emergency that threatens life, health, or security;
b. If required by law, or by a government agency, we may be compelled to disclose your information for purposes of law enforcement or investigation;
c. To collect a debt owed to Orion Legal Research;
d. If Orion Legal Research goes bankrupt or out of business;
e. If Orion Legal Research or a substantial portion of its business is sold, acquired, or merged into another company; or
f. If the law requires that information be disclosed or made publicly available.
Internet security: When you voluntarily submit information to us through the Website, we secure that information to the best of our ability once it reaches our server. Your information may not be secure in transit between your computer and our server, and we cannot guarantee the security of information in transit to us. We use commercially reasonable security practices for our Website and other information technology. No security system is impenetrable, however, and so we cannot guarantee the security of information we receive. You transmit information to Orion Legal Research at your own risk.
Third parties: We employ third parties to help maintain our Website and other information technology. These third parties only have access to your information when they perform these services for us. We also use the services of third parties as part of email marketing and newsletter automation.
Third party websites: Other websites and services that Orion Legal Research does not operate may have different privacy policies and deal with your information in different ways than we do. Third parties who process payments for your orders with Orion Legal Research may likewise have different privacy policies and practices from ours. We encourage you to examine the privacy policies of these third parties.
Servers and ISPs: Our web servers automatically collect a limited amount of information when you visit and use the Website, including your internet domain name or IP address. Depending on your internet service provider this information may be used to identify you. We encourage you to contact your internet service provider about their policies and practices.
"Cookies": The Website may use “cookies” to assist you when you return to the Website, or to determine your use of the Website. If you wish, you may use a web browser or settings within a web browser to deny the use of “cookies” or to warn you when they are used.